Infertility: When do I become concerned? When should I see an ND about infertility?
The best time to see an ND is for pre-conception care about 3 months before you want to start trying. We can ensure that your hormones are balanced and that you are healthy. Doing a detox before you start trying poses no risk to your future baby while waiting until after you’ve started trying may not be safe.
If you are in your late 20’s or 30’s then seeing an ND before you start trying is ideal as fertility does decrease with age.
What if we have already started trying?
If you have already started trying to conceive, don’t worry. The current definition for infertility is:
- If you are under 35 years old, you are considered infertile if you have been having regular unprotected sex for 1 year without falling pregnant
- If you are over 35 years old, you are considered infertile if you have been having regular unprotected sex for 6 months without falling pregnant
These are the points where your MD may refer you to a fertility clinic or offer up some medical intervention like clomid or metformin.
To see an ND you do not need a referral. There are also some fertility clinics that do not require a referral either.
We suggest that you see an ND if:
- you have a history of irregular periods
- you have a history of difficult periods (cramps, PMS, etc)
- your fertility is a concern for you (even if no one has given you medical reasons for it)
- you have PCOS
- the male partner has a history of cycling or chemical exposure
Since many of the natural treatments were researched over the course of 2-4 months, we suggest that you give the treatments at least 4 months.
What if we are doing IUI’s or IVF? Can you still help?
We sure can. Our doctors are trained natural fertility treatments for men and women. One of the therapies we use is acupuncture and the research supporting acupuncture during IVF is good. We can help support the medical treatments that you are currently undergoing.