Greens like Chard, Kale, and Dandelion are cleansing and full of important nutrients. I only wish that I enjoyed them more :(. Salads with the baby greens in the spring and summer are great. But this time of year I really only love them sauteed in butter and garlic. Even then, I can’t get them in too often.
This soup has been sitting in my ‘to try’ list for years. I believe that it originated from a Yoga Journal but I cna’t be sure – it really was years ago that I wrote it down. I finally decided to give it a go since I don’t eat many greens this time of year. To my delight, it’s pretty good. For those of you who like greens, it should be amazing!!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- sea salt
- 1 1/4 lbs sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, washed and chopped
- 1 bunch of chard, washed and chopped
- 2 cups broth
- pepper to taste
- heat the oil in a pan, add the onions with a bit of salt. stir often until the onions are caramelized (golden brown). this will take about 20-30 minutes
- while the onions are browning, bring the 3 1/2 cups of water and sweet potatoes to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the sage. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes
- Add the kale and chard to the sweet potato water after the 10 minutes along with broth and garlic. Simmer for 20 minutes
- add the onions
Each cup of this soup is stuffed with goodness and it’s filling to boot. Next time that I do a 24 hour fast, this will be my break-fasting meal.
till next time
( I will post pictures soon!)