One of my patients recently asked me about fish oil for pregnancy. She had heard that it’s good for the babies brain but she wasn’t sure what else it was good for or what kind to take.
Research has shown there are a few wonderful things about fish oil for your baby:
- reduces the rate of pre-term births
- increases cognitive functioning
- reduces the prevalence of allergies later in life
- helps to prevent eczema (atopic dermatitis, asthma and allergic rhinitis
So when should you start supplementing? As soon as possible or at least during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters as this is the critical time for brain development.
Choose a fish oil that:
- has at least 0.3g of DHA in it, high potency is better
- tested for heavy metals and PCBs
We have a great one at the office that is a high potency and clean source of fish oil. I recommend this to all my pregnant moms along with some other essential nutrients.
I would love to hear how your supplementing during pregnancy is going!