This time of year we all crave warm comfort foods. So here is a recipe that serves up yummy healthy comforting goodness.
We encourage our fertility patients, and those trying to stabilize blood sugars, to consume more plant based proteins like beans, peas and lentils. This recipe allows you do so with gusto. Delicious.
You will need:
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, juice drained
- 1 cup salsa (spiciness to your taste)
- 2 19-oz cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- Using a large heavy pot over medium heat, sauté the onions in a 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Once onions are softened, add the turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the chunks as you go.
- Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper and cinnamon, cook for another minute.
- Add the first 2 cups of stock, tomatoes, salsa, beans and barley and bring to a simmer. If you need to, add more stock until everything is just covered in liquid. Reduce heat to maintain low simmer and cook for 60-70 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with your favorite chili side (we like rye bread to sop up the bottom of the bowl).