Are you feeling stressed, exhausted, or burnt out?
The adrenal glands are our primary “stress” glands that sit on top of our kidneys and release cortisol (our main stress hormone) in response to stressors.
The adrenal glands rely on proper communication from the brain to regulate proper cortisol release, a complicated hormonal feedback system termed the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis (or HPA Axis).
Short term or acute stress is common and normal. Our bodies respond to this stress (often referred to as ‘fight or flight’) and then it returns back to normal.
Chronic stress is more difficult for our bodies to adapt to and overtime can lead to HPA Axis Dysfunction (otherwise known as Adrenal Fatigue)
Symptoms Of Adrenal Fatigue or HPA Dysfunction include:
- Fatigue (especially early morning and afternoon)
- Feeling overwhelmed or unable to cope with stress
- Low mood, depression, anxiety
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Sugar or salt cravings
- Trouble sleeping, or never feeling rested with sleep
- Poor immune function
- Hormone disturbances including PMS, irregular periods, low thyroid function, and others
- … and more
Who Gets Adrenally Fatigued?
Anyone can experience Adrenal Fatigue, but we see higher rates in the following people:
- self proclaimed “work-a-holics”
- students and/or teachers
- those who have experienced “burn out” or have high stress jobs
- shift workers
- those with a history of alcohol or drug abuse
- those with a history of trauma or loss
Put down the Coffee! Treatment may include:
- Investigation of the root cause of your fatigue including blood work or hormone testing
- Addressing lifestyle habits that affect cortisol and stress hormones such as diet, sleep, and exercise
- Specific nutraceuticals and herbal medicine to improve energy while balancing your body’s stress response
- Acute treatment as needed to provide relief from symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, or depression
- The use of IV therapy to boost energy levels and quicken recovery
* Recovery from Adrenal Fatigue does not happen overnight and is not remedied with one simple supplement. Lifestyle changes and stress management are essential pieces of the puzzle.
Interested but not sure? Meet one of our doctors and have your questions answered by booking your free 15 min introduction here or by calling 705-792-6717