I got home later than usual last night and didn’t have supper prepared. I did however, have a recipe on my computer for stuffed tomatoes that I found on http://www.vegetariantimes.com/.
This will become a staple for sure! It took about 5 minutes to put everything together, then I popped it in the oven for 30 minutes while my son had his bath and got ready for bed.
I lightly sauteed some zucchini and summer squash in some olive oil and salt to have as a side dish – presto! Healthy, filling, and most importantly, tasty.
for 4 stuffed tomatoes, you will need:
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (divided in two)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large tomatoes
- cut the tops off the tomatoes (about an inch worth) and spoon out the centre.
- chop the centres of the tomatoes and put into a medium sized bowl.
- add the beans, corn, onions, 1/2 the cheese, cumin, chili powder and salt
- mix well
- spoon the mixture into the hollow tomatoes and top with the remaining cheese.
- place in lightly oiled shallow pan
- bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Yours in health,
Kerri Fullerton ND