We love mushroom soup but cannot handle the cream. Here is a recipe for a hearty mushroom soup that won’t leave you hungry (or bloated from cream).
You will need to gather the following ingredients:
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced (that’s about one small package)
- 2 Tbsp butter (you can use coconut oil or olive oil, we just love butter)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped (you can use onions but it will change the flavour)
- 1 sage leaf, chopped (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 2 -15oz cans of white kidney beans/cannelli beans, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- salt to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Melt butter and oil in pot over med-low heat; add mushrooms.
- Once they are about half their original size, add the shallots and stir until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and the sage, stir.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Once at a simmer, add the garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. You can of course use a blender and puree it in batches.
This soup freezes really well.
Yours in Health,
Kerri and Whitney