I’ve been hearing so much about the Paleo diet lately and baking with almond flour that I decided to finally give it a shot. I went to the local Bulk Barn in Barrie and found ground almond flour. It was around $8 for about 3 or 4 cups. So, it’s more expensive than regular flour but really is packed with protein and delicious. Well worth it!
I found a recipe that I tried this weekend. I added chocolate chips so that makes them not purely paleo but good enough for me this time. Of the options below, I used applesauce, white vinegar, honey, coconut oil and chocolate chips.
Here’s the recipe and some pictures! Enjoy!
- 2-1/2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened pumpkin puree, thawed winter squash puree, butternut squash puree, unsweetened apple sauce, or mashed very ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted) or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or cider)
- Optional Flavorings: 1 teaspoon extract (e.g., vanilla, almond), citrus zest, dried herbs (e.g., basil, dill), or spice (e.g., cinnamon, cumin)
- Optional Stir-Ins: 1 cup fresh fruit (e.g., blueberries, diced apple) or ½ cup dried fruit/cacao nibs/chopped nuts/seeds or
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 10 cups in a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl whisk the almond flour, baking soda and salt (whisk in any dried spices or herbs at this point, if using).
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, honey, oil and vinegar (add any extracts or zest at this point, if using).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended. Fold in any optional stir-ins, if using.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes until set at the centers and golden brown at the edges. Move the tin to a cooling rack and let muffins cool in the tin 30 minutes. Remove muffins from tin.
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 229 Fat: 17.5 g Carbohydrates: 10.2 g Fiber: 3.2 g Protein: 8 g
This recipe is from: http://powerhungry.com/2013/05/paleo-almond-flour-muffins-master-recipe/